School records set for Cardinals on day two of GLIAC Championships
UNIVERSITY CENTER, Michigan – the Saginaw Valley State University the swim and dive teams hosted Day 2 of the Great Lakes Interuniversity Athletic Conference Saturday Championships at the Gerstacker Regional Aquatic Center. The SVSU men are currently in 5th place in the team standings with 141.5 points, while the women are 5th with 178 points.
- Flora Mia Szklenar finished second in the B final in the 100-yard butterfly and 10th overall with a time of 57.53 seconds. Kimble Darbee finished 14th in 58.83.
- In the 3 meter diving event, Libby Caird placed second with a score of 462.50 points.
- Tonya Guryeva finished eighth in the A final of the 200-yard freestyle with a time of 1:55.21. Sydney Shipps finished third in the B final and 11th overall in 1:54.50. Piper St. Clair also scored for the Cardinals in 16th place with a time of 1:55.97.
- Guryeva, St. Clair, Emma Cornell and Cameron Matthews finished third in the 400-yard medley relay clocking 3:47.75.
Highlights for men:
- In a 200-yard individual medley time trial, Eric Slabbert set a new school record with a time of 1:52.35.
- Joao Pedro Noguera and Kyle Amick earned points in the 100-meter butterfly final, with Noguera finishing 13th in a time of 51.10 and Amick 16th in 51.95 seconds.
- Matteo Capotosti finished 12th in the 400-yard individual medley with a time of 4:05.98.
- The 200-yard freestyle saw Logan Fox finish in 11th place for SVSU with a time of 1:40.84.
- Alejandro Robles Ruiz placed third in the 100-yard butterfly with a time of 48.04 seconds, setting a school record for the Cardinals.
Wayne State 331
Northern Michigan 271
State of Wayne 405.5
Northern Michigan 394.5
Day 3 of GLIACA The swimming and diving championships will begin at 10 a.m. Sunday morning at the regional aquatic center in Gerstacker.